Author Topic: Skew chisel too big for my Tormek?  (Read 7531 times)

Offline GerryKmack

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
Skew chisel too big for my Tormek?
« on: May 11, 2005, 02:16:09 pm »
Help!!

I just purchased a set (2) of Alan Lacer signature woodturning skew
chisels. These skews are very nicely made of substantial steel (3/8"
thick 2030 steel).

Last night I did the initial sharpening on the smaller of the two (5/8"
wide). My old Tormek 2000 & multi-jig did a great job (the skews have
a radiused edge) - though it took awhile (2030 steel is *hard*).

When I moved to the larger (1 3/8" wide) skew, I discovered that it
will not fit into my multi-jig - it's too big!  :-[

Anybody have any ideas how I can use my Tormek system to sharpen this
bad boy??

thanks! - Gerry Kmack

Offline Hypotenuse

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
Re:Skew chisel too big for my Tormek?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 03:52:19 am »
Those are nice skew chisels!  I have a 1-1/8 P&N skew that barely fits in my multi-jig.

I suppose your best bet would be to use the scraper platform.  You could set it to the correct bevel angle and rotate the tool around keeping the tool flat on the scraper tool rest.  Not sure if the Lacer curved profile will work this way or not.  Time to experiment!

Offline Barkchipper

• always on the edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 05:21:19 am »
I too have the Hamlet Alan Lacer signature skew  1-3/8' wide which I purchased from Alan Lacer.  Alan also sharpened it for me before sending it out.  I presently keep it sharp by honing it on a diamond stone.   I love this tool so much that I wish Jeff would provide specific advice as to how to jig-sharpen it on the Tormek.  If ever I have to touch up the grind, I'd love to do it right.  I'd also like to see some videos on sharpening  turning tools using the Tormek.  There are a lot of us turners out there and while Tormek advocates are increasing in number not many have been converted yet.  There could be a huge market if the right jigs are available for turning tools of this type.  
One good turn deserves another.

Offline kaptain_zero

• Lost in oblivia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:28 am »
While I don't have a skew as large as you gents are speaking of, I can't imagine it would be hard to make a wooden jig to handle such a skew. Just take two pieces of wood, cut a groove in one of them that fits the skew and holds the skew at the right angle vs the front edge of piece you are using, glue the other same size piece of wood on top and add a screw to lock the blade in place and away you go.

In the meantime, I'm not sure about 1 3/8" but you might just be able to fit your skew in the Tormek jig if you remove the little brass plunger on the end of the clamping screw. It's just held in place with an o-ring and see if you can squeeze the skew in that way. The end of the clamping screw is square so if the blade goes in with the screw fully retracted, it should clamp fine without the brass foot if you are careful. All the jig does is set the protrusion of the tool and hold it at the correct skew angle so it shouldn't be hard to rig something up.

Regards

Christian

Offline Jeff Farris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:56:16 am »
The Alan Lacer skew is the only commercially available skew that will not fit the SVS-50.  It must be sharpened freehand on the SVD-110 Torlock Tool Rest.
Jeff Farris

Offline T L Tjader

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:24:59 am »
This one is so simple I can't believe no one suggested it. All you got to do is gring the Skew down until it fits! ::) LOL

Offline boehme

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
Re: Skew chisel too big for my Tormek?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:39 pm »
I have the large Alan Lacer skew and it is a real heavyweight slab of steel.  When I bought it, the included angle of the cutting edge seemed rather fat for a skew -- it was somewhere around 60?.  Also, I thought that the amount of curvature was rather extreme and curved forward much more than what I have seen Alan use at a demo.  To me, it was more like having an axe on a turning tool handle so I reworked the profile to make it fall somewhere between Alan Lacer's real style and the style that I have been using which is the more traditional curved bevel.

My initial shaping was done on a dry grinder since a LOT of metal needed to be removed.  I also decided to go with the more common 40? included bevel angle which means that with a tool this thick that the bevel will be VERY wide.  There is a design tradeoff involving bevel angle between edge durability and how well the edge slices.  There is not a "right" answer, but I personally prefer narrower bevel angles which also means that I must sharpen the edge a bit more often.  Both approaches have their payoff.

It didn't take too long to figure out that the flat tool rest was about my only choice in existing fixtures and I managed to do it, but I should warn others that with such a long shallow bevel angle, it is very easy for the tool to run away from you.  After a few initial runaways, I refined my technique which included keeping fairly light pressure against the stone and being very careful to make sure that I have the tool held firmly down on the rest.  After a lot of practice and being extra careful, I managed to complete the task successfully.  The bad news is that it always felt as though I was on the hairy edge of an incipient runaway.  I think that I will look into coming up with a homemade fixture to use with the guide bar next time.

Offline Jeff Farris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:53:05 pm »
When sharpening a long bevel angle on the Torlock Tool Rest, try moving the Tool Rest to the vertical mount instead of the horizontal mount.  That will eliminate the tendency for the tool to run away from the tool rest.
Jeff Farris

Offline n7blw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:28:13 am »
Hi, folks. This is my first time on this forum, although I've owned a Model 2000 for about 5 years.

I just sharpened my Lacer 1 3/8 inch skew last week, after having diamond-honed away all the original hollow grind. I, too, puzzled over how to use the Tormek for a while. I settled on using the platform with the stone turning toward the edge. Even with care, the blade wants to hydroplane on the stone. It took a while to get the bevel properly ground to the curve, mostly due to the difference between the original grind on the real big (factory) stone and the Tormek's 10 incher.

Jim