Author Topic: Another se77 out of square plane blade  (Read 493 times)

Offline Seth

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
Another se77 out of square plane blade
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:48 pm »
Just got a t4 after a year of free hand sharpening.  I just could not muster the will to reset another primary bevel with sandpaper.  So a t4 and se77 were purchased.

Got everything set up, followed the directions, set the angle with the angle master, and got a burr across the back. 

To my dismay the blade was out of square by about 1/16 of an inch (pretty significant).  So I read through all the topics and videos I could find on the subject.  I realized I hadn’t tightened the support bar.  So I did that.  I also rested the support on the stone and it was parallel except maybe 1/32 low on the very inside corner, maybe 1/64).  But it didn’t seem to be a gradual slope, more like a slightly out of square corner.  I don’t have a truing tool yet, but I’ve ordered one.

Next I drew a line across the stone as shown in the booklet for Japanese chisels.  Put the blade back int the se77 and the blade was almost perfectly parallel to the line.  It was off by about 1/64.  But it’s hard to say that’s accurate because sharpies bleed a bit.  Close enough anyway I would think.

I finally got a square blade by continually checking with a tiny starret square and adjusted accordingly through the sharpening.  I guess it’s not too much of a pain but I would like to figure out how to do this with the confidence that it will come out shraight without continuously adjusting.

Any new thoughts on this topic?  Thanks!!

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
Re: Another se77 out of square plane blade
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:19:33 am »
Welcome to the forum, Seth.

I think the T4 is the ideal Tormek for a home workshop. I also think the SE-77 is the most useful jig for plane blades. That stated, I think it is unfortunate that both of these, in my opinion, are so poorly marketed.

The SE-77, like its predecessor, the SE-76, incorporates a 90° registration fence. It also incorporates the ability to add controlled camber to plane blades. The problem is that the two knobs which make camber adjustment possible also can throw off the 90° setting. Until we get (or devise) an alignment tool, the best defense is to use the black marker and check the grinding pattern early on. The marker can indicate out of squareness as well as bevel angle.

The T4 pioneered the use of the cast and precision machined zinc top, which was later incorporated into the T8 and T2. Tormek markets it to sell at a price point. It needs the TT-50 truing tool.

On the Tormek website, there is no video for the SE-77. Actually, there is brief video coverage of the SE-77 on the T8 video in the my Tormek, getting started section. You have to register your Tormek to access this. I recommend registering your Tormek.

Try the marker and very early on checking with a square. Keep posting.

Ken

Offline AKMike

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:02:02 pm »
Here's an interesting video on the SE-77:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfd-xzOF5sc

Mike

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »
Mike,

This is an excellent video, and David Charles is certainly a top drawer woodworker. Incidentally, he is a (very inactive) forum member.

Thanks for posting the link.

Ken