Author Topic: a peg for Tormek, finally  (Read 2435 times)

Online Ken S

• View Profile
Re: a peg for Tormek, finally
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 04:16:01 am »
Interesting post, SADW.

When I rehabbed my seventy five year old drill press, I replaced some of the hardware with grade eight. My reason for doing this was more sentimental than logical. Former owners were my father and a dear family friend. I wanted to do my best work.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see where the cost difference is a major consideration. If you are thrifty, I suspect the grade two is more than adequate. If you are particular, then use stainless or grade eight.

Ken

Offline kenc295

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
Re: a peg for Tormek, finally
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Kenc. That's good information about bolt grades. Is there any difference between grades in corrosion resistance?

Ken (S)

Thanks for the welcome Ken, I hope to learn a lot about the Tormak here. I have a T7 with a number of the jigs and an SJ250 waterstone.

Regarding corrosion, I don't know off hand, that's a good question. If I were to guess, I would say yes, that grade 8 - which is an alloy steel - would be superior, but I'm not sure what alloying elements are included in grade 8. I know nickel and chromium improve corrosion resistance.

A quick search led me to this which looks pretty complete:
https://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/FastenalTechnicalReferenceGuide.pdf

Hmm, need to sit down and read this, I bet the info is in here somewhere!