Author Topic: Hello Forum  (Read 705 times)

Offline braincramp

• View Profile
Re: Hello Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 09:19:22 pm »
Well, you answered the question I have :  “so, now what are you going to do?”.   

Simple, I will practice the sharpness and beauty out of many a blade until finally I succeed in getting it back to where it belongs  ;)

Offline braincramp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 09:26:04 pm »
Ken,

thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the Boos boards, but I can't promise that I can justify the purchase of one. They are very pricey. How about making a board myself? Getting a decent piece of maple should be feasible. And since the whole endeavour got started by the attempt to get my woodworking chisels sharper it seems fitting. For the knife there is no shortage in the kitchen. I shall select one and follow your advice.

Offline braincramp

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 09:29:16 pm »
Erivan,

while I am not satisfied with my results, I am far from feeling sorry :D To say it with Confucius' words. The path is the true destination. The two knives I showed you are safely put aside, until I feel confident enough to work them over.

Offline braincramp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »
john,

what makes a good steel? I do have one in my kitchen, but never really got into using them.

Offline john.jcb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 10:27:10 pm »
john,

what makes a good steel? I do have one in my kitchen, but never really got into using them.

I think all of the commercial steels are close to the same. The variations come in length and finish. I prefer a smooth steel that I use every day when I pick up a knife or more often if I am doing a lot of prep work. Steels also come in coarse or fine grooves. These are a little more aggressive and can be useful when you are not diligent in using the smooth one. I personally do not use ceramic or diamond ones as I feel they are too aggressive and remove material. When my knives do not respond to the steel it is time for sharpening. When a knife has been properly sharpened and maintained subsequent sharpening is an easy job. I use the SG-250 with a light touch at its finest and the leather hone. Here is a good video on using a steel. His is grooved and he does not use it every time. Mine is smooth and I do it every day. If you are not using the knife much you do not need to do it daily. Butchers will steel several times a day to maintain the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKYPCxx20zg