Author Topic: DBS-22 Base Plate Mod  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
Re: DBS-22 Base Plate Mod
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 05:42:17 pm »
Since I had my plate modified to Rick's specs, I obviously think it is a good idea.
What puzzles me is not knowing if the Tormek engineers were not aware of the modification , or whether they considered that possibility and felt they had a good reason for not doing it. I wish we had better communication with Tormek. This kind of question comes up infrequently. It would be nice to have authoritative answers from the factory team. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask several staff members to include the forum with their Internet favorites. One click once a day would show if there was any forum activity. On days with no activity (about half the days) a staffer could be in and out in only a few seconds. Even on the occasional post needing an answer, the time involved would be minimal.

Ken

Offline OneRogueWave

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 12:27:51 am »
 After working on a different project and completing it I got to focus on this, I don't have a milling machine but I have a Number 10 Dumore Die grinder. Sharpie layout, a few drill holes to remove some bulk and lubricant for a 1/2 inch burr and some elbow grease. One modification not shown is this T8 can run off a foot switch when needed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbi1lyc33r3h5k6/DBS22%20Mod.jpg?dl=0

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 02:51:34 am »
Nicely done! Clever.

Ken

Offline courierdog

• Always Learning
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 01:52:43 am »
At first I could not understand the why for the mod. At first I thought Tormek may have changed the dimensions of the base plate. I was wrong. I looked again carefully as to the reason for the mod. Before the mod the movable portion of the Jig over runs to base plate. With the mod the movable portion of the Jig is more balanced on the base plate. So it looks like I will have to do this modification to balance to movable portion on the static baseplate.
This is just a wonderful piece of kit and while it works very well the way it is, this mod should make the overall balance and the resulting grind a much more smooth operation and keep more of the movable portion operating on the centre of the baseplate.
Thanks again to everyone who share their experience to make our lives easier.
How ever My thought is why does Tormek not make the base plate a little wider and modify the mount to allow for the shifting of the baseplate so the grinding operation stays dead centre on the baseplate centred on the Grinding wheel.
Thanks for Listening.
Retired Engineer