Author Topic: Another idea for pivoting the knife jigs  (Read 9592 times)

Offline cbwx34

• Question Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Another idea for pivoting the knife jigs
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 05:51:44 pm »
can someone please tell me the diameter of the shaft on Knife Blade Sharpening Jig Tormek SVM-45? I don't have tormek yet.

12mm.

If you can, take a look at one of the spreadsheets or calculators you’ll find in my signature... most have the dimensions of everything.  :)

For example... http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexCalcProj.html has the basics.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:55:25 pm by cbwx34 »
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculators:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform
or, a couple of iOS Calculators

Offline harivney

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 07:03:37 pm »
thank you

Offline RickKrung

• Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 07:22:21 pm »
can someone please tell me the diameter of the shaft on Knife Blade Sharpening Jig Tormek SVM-45? I don't have tormek yet.

12mm.
...snip...

True enough, 12mm.  But the jigs are cast parts, with a parting line down both sides.  Sometimes those parting lines cause binding.  I've filed them down when needed. 

Also, I found the shaft on my two SVD-140s to be oversize, such that my Pin Pivot Collar didn't fit very well. 

Rick
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:18:36 pm by RickKrung »
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Offline Stephen M

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:16 pm »
I love all of this!

Offline Little Finger

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2021, 12:23:08 pm »
A simple way is drill a hole of the appropriate size through the shaft of the jig, and insert a piece of drill rod. Drill and tap a set screw to hold the drill rod. Or you can just use epoxy to glue the shaft in place.

Offline Guelgo

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2021, 10:34:01 pm »
Actually, made my own version of the SVM-45 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHrh2nmpYKU
I turned 2 knobs, one pretty flat like in the original version and another one rounded.
It works quite nice :). Hope this helps

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2021, 12:08:41 am »
In order to match the jig to the curvature of the knife tip, the length of the jig should be variable, equa; to the radius of the curvature, and in any case longer than it is now. ;)

When Dutchman speaks, I listen. Until 2002, all the Tormek knife jigs were longer. Apparently, there was a problem with some users leaning on the longer jigs, so they were redesigned to their present length. The earlier jigs were around 40 mm longer, including longer threaded shafts. They also used locking screws.

I wanted a longer jig with a threaded shaft for small paring knives to reach 139mm Projection with the kenjig. I found two of them on ebay. Even though they are twenty years out of production, they show up occasionally.

Ken

Offline cbwx34

• Question Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:57 am »
In order to match the jig to the curvature of the knife tip, the length of the jig should be variable, equa; to the radius of the curvature, and in any case longer than it is now. ;)

When Dutchman speaks, I listen. Until 2002, all the Tormek knife jigs were longer. Apparently, there was a problem with some users leaning on the longer jigs, so they were redesigned to their present length. The earlier jigs were around 40 mm longer, including longer threaded shafts. They also used locking screws.

I wanted a longer jig with a threaded shaft for small paring knives to reach 139mm Projection with the kenjig. I found two of them on ebay. Even though they are twenty years out of production, they show up occasionally.

Ken

I don't disagree with this, but I believe you can also adjust it by how far or close you clamp the "belly to tip" area, in relation to the clamp.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculators:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform
or, a couple of iOS Calculators