Author Topic: Tormek 2000  (Read 383 times)

Offline ega

• View Profile
Re: Tormek 2000
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 11:39:46 pm »
Ken
Amen to all your comments! One of the pleasing things about our machine is the sense that it came from one individual's inspiration; perhaps the updated, online, handbook could touch on its origins.
I forgot to say that if there is a (UK) member who has the non-stainless shaft and wishes to upgrade but does not need the EzyLock multiple wheel capability, then they would be welcome to my shop-made item for the cost of the postage. PM me if interested.

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 12:57:05 am »
Ega,

I agree. I find the history and development of the Tormek fascinating. When Tormek was redesigning the website, I suggested including more Tormek history. The new website has an expanded section dating the addition of jigs and accessories.

I learned a lot about how the Tormek works when I changed my stainless shaft to EZYlock in my first T7. I like your idea of giving your non EZYlock stainless shaft to another member. I did the same after my conversion. Reuse is the best kind of recycling.

Ken

Offline dhansmeyer64@gmail.com

• I'm a sharp craftsman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 10:14:47 pm »
David,

The DE-250 is an excellent choice for the final sharpening stages. Do not add pressure if it seems slow cutting; diamond wheels are designed to cut with low pressure.

You may eventually wish to supplement your 1200 grit wheel with a coarser grit for initial sharpening. I like the DC-250 360 grit wheel for initial work.

Enjoy your new wheel!

Keep posting.

Ken

Ken,

I installed the 1200 grit diamond wheel today and tried it out on a chisel and a cheap pair of scissors. It worked very well but slower than I expected. I guess I will have to replace the the broken wheel with the same kind.  I have an older one but it is probably 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
The wheel I glued together is holding up well and sharpens well on the half not affected by the chip that is missing. I guess I will have to go searching for the missing piece. I could almost buy a used machine for the cost of a new wheel.
The bottom line is I just can not afford to buy another grinding wheel so I will use the old one I have since it is not completely worn out.
Thank you for all your advice and comments. I enjoy reading them.
David

Offline Ken S

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 01:45:39 am »
David,

My favorite car was a 1970 VW camper. It did not have much power. It was great fun to drive and always got me where I was going. Your DE-250 1200 grit diamond wheel will get you where you are going, albeit not very quickly. Enjoy the ride and save a little money until you can comfortably afford another wheel.

Incidentally, I have never seen or read about a Tormek stainless steel shaft rusting.

Enjoy your Tormek and keep posting!

Ken